Academic Warning is an early alert to the student and their advisors that additional support may be needed to maintain academic progress. This status may be applied when you meet some criteria, including but not limited to:
- Student received a D or an F in a course
- Student successfully completed less than 12 units with a semester GPA or cumulative GPA between 2.0 and 2.5
- Student has a semester GPA or cumulative GPA above 2.0 with two incompletes
- Student failed College Writing
Students who fail to adequately address those concerns may be moved to Academic Probation or Academic Time Away status.
Academic Probation represents a significant concern regarding a student’s academic progress. Academic Probation status may be applied when you meet some criteria, including but not limited to:
- Student received Ds or Fs in more than one course
- Student has two unresolved incompletes and a GPA below 2.0
- Student has a semester or cumulative GPA less than 2.0 AND earned less than 12 units
- Student did not pass any major-related courses
- While on Warning, student received more than one final grade of D, F, or I
In order to be eligible for a return to good academic standing, you must address the academic concerns identified by the Committee on Academic Progress. Students who fail to adequately address those concerns by the end of the term may be moved to Academic Time Away status.
Academic Time Away
Academic Time Away requires that a student take a break from coursework. This time allows you to address matters that have significantly impeded your academic progress. Academic Time Away status may be applied when you meet some criteria, including but not limited to:
- Student received D’s, F’s and/or I’s in majority of their courses
- While of probation, student received more than two final grades of D, F, or I
- After having been on Academic Probation in the current or previous term(s), student does not meet the requirements to return to good academic standing in the current term
- Student has three or more unresolved incomplete grades
You may return from Academic Time Away to the College of Arts & Sciences only when you demonstrate a capacity to work productively at the level required by the College curriculum. When you are ready to return from the Academic Time Away, you will need to submit a reinstatement form at least six weeks prior to the beginning of the semester to which you would like to return.